A quality blend of xylene can be an excellent industrial-grade solvent for thinning oil-based paints and much more. As an industry leadingchemical processing company, SolvChem® Custom Packaging Division blends and distributes the chemicals you need when you need them. We have the capabilities to take on the most challenging blending projects while meeting your specific criteria, including xylene blending and packaging. SolvChem Custom Packaging Division customers know that our options for xylene are unmatched. Read on to learn more about the industrial benefits of using high-quality xylene, and find out what our team can do for you.
What Is Xylene?
The chemical xylene is an industrial-grade aromatic solvent. It is a type of liquid created through the distillation of petroleum, wood or coal tar. It is a common and highly popular petrochemical preferred for its capabilities in industrial production and more. Physically, it is colorless and slightly greasy, although it does have an odor. As a leader in chemical blending and chemical warehousing, the skilled SolvChem® Custom Packaging Division team understands the unique intricacies of xylene. Our team of chemists and chemical handling experts excel at blending to virtually any specifications, and we are able to do so safely and efficiently.
We also have a deep understanding of the various uses of xylene and how specific blends are best suited for different applications.
Industrial Applications of Xylene
Xylene is widely considered to be one of the most reliable industrial chemicals, with a wide range of applications. Common xylene thinners are just the beginning. A few frequent applications include:
- Industrial cleaning. Xylene is ideal for heavy-duty cleaning applications. Its slow evaporation rate makes xylene a superior solvent for certain cleaning and degreasing applications. It effectively cleans oil-based paint, varnish or polyurethane application tools; lacquer and epoxy application tools; new wood before finishing and oil coatings before refinishing. Xylene can be used for degreasing bare metal and painted metal parts.
- Petroleum production. Xylene solvent is frequently used for blending into petroleum and gasoline.
- Labs. In laboratories, xylene is commonly used in chemical reactions or functionally, to remove paraffin from microscope slides. Additionally, it can be used to make baths with dry ice. This is helpful in labs and plants, where the mixtures can be used to safely cool reaction vessels.
- Chemistry. In addition to petroleum, xylene is effective when blended for the printing industry and pharmaceuticals. It is also found in perfumes and pesticides.
- Concrete sealing. Xylene is commonly used for concrete sealing applications. When used in solvent-based acrylic sealers, the solution can be used in concert with re-melting an existing surface, after which the xylene evaporates and leaves a smooth, shiny surface. This is an effective method for treating scratches or for new decorative purposes.
- Thinning. Xylene can be used as a solvent for thinning oil-based paints or stains, lacquers, polyurethanes, epoxies, oil finishes, enamels, varnishes and alkyd resins — but only when the coating manufacturer recommends it as an approved thinner.
- Removing paint. It’s for more than thinning, as well. Xylene thinner is frequently used for removing paint. When handled safely and in a well-ventilated area, xylene can be a very effective paint remover.
- Degreasing. For metal and concrete surfaces, degreasing can be especially challenging. The nature of xylene is such that degreasing can be done both safely and effectively.
No one understands the versatility of industrial chemicals better than SolvChem® Custom Packaging Division. Whatever your specific purpose, our knowledgeable team can provide you with the guidance to make the best decision possible, and we are able to work closely with you to ensure that you get the chemical blend you require.
How SolvChem® Custom Packaging Division Can Help You Meet Your Xylene Needs
SolvChem® Custom Packaging Division offers blending,filling, xylene chemical storage and delivery. Our skilled chemists blend xylene to your precise specifications, always striving to achieve the highest levels of quality and consistency. If you wish, we can safely warehouse your chemical products until you need them. Then simply give us a call and we’ll arrange for the prompt delivery from our Port of Houston vicinity to your facility. Our team is eager to hear about your xylene needs, so contact us today to learn more.